Re: Solution for the scrolling bug?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Solution for the scrolling bug?
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 22:51:41 +0200

Am 06.04.2015 um 17:16 schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com>:

> Tobias,
>
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Tobias Braun
> <gs.tobias@braun-abstatt.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was advised on the IRC channel (which unfortunately seems almost dead) to
>> post my question on the mailing list, so here we go:
>
> No, its not dead.  The people in Europe who are on it are at work
> still and so am I here in the US.  So it's likely not active because
> people are busy.  I am currently logged into it as "bheron" and
> "bheron_" if you want to ask any questions there please feel free.
>
>> On my Arch Linux system, the most recent stable GNUstep version (installed
>> via pacman, the standard Arch package manager) exhibits a scrolling bug.
>> From what I read by browsing the mailing list archives, I understand that
>> the stable version of GS is not compatible with recent Cairo versions. This
>> means I have to install a newer, unstable version of GS to get it to work.
>
> That is, unfortunately, true since many distros don't keep up with our
> releases.

In this specific case not exactly. There hasn't been a GNUstep back release in
over a year and so the changes for the cairo bug fix are not available outside
of SVN.

>> Now I am not a regular Linux user, as I only set up this Arch Linux system
>> in order to get to know Linux better, so I need some general advice. I use
>> OS X as my main OS and know my way around the command line, but that's about
>> it. I don't really know how package management works on Linux systems and
>> how it interacts with stuff I'd install from source tarballs. So here are a
>> few questions that come to my mind:
>>
>> 1. Arch has a system called AUR for compiling packages from source. Should I
>> create AUR scripts for everything I install from source, or is this not
>> recommended/necessary?
>
> This is not necessary.
>
>> 2. It appears that the default compiler for Arch is gcc. Is it necessary or
>> recommended to use clang instead for GS?
>
> The clang compiler supports more modern ObjC features than GCC does.

If the rest of your distribution builds on top of gcc, just stick with that.
GNUstep should work as good with gcc as it does with clang.

Fred