GNUMail: SMTP auth problem on send

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: GNUMail: SMTP auth problem on send
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 23:08:10 +0200

Hi,

I found a reproducible problem with GNUMail, which happens both on Mac and GNUstep, thus it is most probably a code problem. I can't directly tell if it was "introduced" recently or has always been there because I need SMTP authentication which previously was broken.

If somebody uses GNUMail with a SMTP server that does not require authentication, does it just work for him?

In my case I need authentication. The mechanism is not relevant (Plain, Login).

If I start GNUMail, compose a new message and send it, smtp send will fail (even if I verified that the previously selected mechanism is correctly stored and retrieved from defaults). If I open preferences, go to Send option, start the check supported function (now that it is working again) I can send the message and all subsequent messages fine, until a new start.

it looks as if something is not properly initialized without launching the "check supported" functions.

Ideas? patches or hints are welcome, I tried to debug it for several hours, but unsuccesfully, I don't see what is missing.

Riccardo