Re: Status of GNUstep

From: Doug Simons
Subject: Re: Status of GNUstep
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 14:49:32 -0600

Hmm, a thought occurred to me: Would there be an easy way to determine the
GNUstep methods (and possibly functions) that are called by an application? The
idea would be to create a list of methods that are known to be used by one or
more applications within the community. Even if a method has been implemented
in GNUstep, it may not actually be in use by anyone in which case it's a bit of
an unknown whether it actually works correctly.

Even for the methods that are being used by an app, there's no absolute
guarantee that they will work correctly in all situations, but we could at
least be reasonably confident that they are implemented and generally
functional. We occasionally wonder what the state of development is for a class
or set of classes that we don't currently use but are considering for use in
our future development, so having a composite list of usage within other apps
might come in handy.

Of course, if there's no easy way to extract that information from an app, then
this is a non-starter, but I would think the linker might be able to generate
such a list? If so, I'd be happy to generate the list of calls used by eggPlant
and share that information.

Regards,

Doug