Re: GWorkspace - themed application icons

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GWorkspace - themed application icons
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 08:46:07 +0000

> On 11 Nov 2015, at 16:32, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Am 11.11.2015 um 11:58 schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald
> <richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com>:
>

> Sorry for the confusion, this is a gui method, even though it is defined on a
> base class. It is located in NSImage.m. You other argument is valid, we need
> to make sure to have basic methods that don't call back into theming to avoid
> recursion.

My fault for not checking where the method was defined.
I just comitted the change you suggested (or at least what I understood from
it).

By the way, I see you added a quick hack for the tooltip issue …
I had been looking at it, and wonder if you have a long-term solution in mind.

Judging by the tooltip text used in pikopixel, and the osx behaviour, at least
part of the issue seems to be paragraphs:
The text contains newline characters, and I think those are paragraph breaks;
certainly the tooltip under osx seems to treat them that way (as well as
wrapping long lines).
What I don’t know is whether the [NSAttributedString-size] method should honor
the paragraph style and provide the correct size for a multipline string, or if
the reason it’s OK under OSX is because they are using some other mechanism
entirely (eg using an NSTextView with a defined width, rather than just drawing
an attributed string into a view as in our implementation.
Any ideas?