Re: Build GNUStep

From: Adam S
Subject: Re: Build GNUStep
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 12:47:23 +0000

So I download and extract the following into my /tmp directory ... What next please? Could someone kindly write me a step by step guide? Thanks.

On Nov 17, 2015 12:05 PM, "Richard Frith-Macdonald" <richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 Nov 2015, at 10:59, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> Adam S wrote:
>>
>> Please help! Richard has advised me to check with you. :)
>>
>> So I have built GNUStep on both Raspbian (Raspberry Pi2) and Lubuntu (Banana Pi) and get the same three errors each time.
>>
>> 1. gnutls-dev won't install from command line (apt-get etc), package can't be found?
>>

> I will check the setup on my Pi. Please note that TLS is not a strict dependency, you can do without and then check and work with all applications and sort it out later on.
> That is more a question you should ask the respective OS you are trying to install more than here on this mailing list.

TLS is fairly important though (needed for HTTPS in NSURL)..

To configure gnustep-base without it, it’s smething like —disable-gnutls

It seems strange that your Raspbian and Lubuntu both have problems, when I installed on two different versions of Raspbian without difficulty.

It may be a packaging issue on those distributions, or it may be that you are using old versions  suppose.
You could try ‘sudo apt-get update’ to tell the packaging system to update
and then perhaps ‘sudo apt-get upgrade’ to upgrade everything to the latest version
Actually, I’m not normally a debian/raspbian used, so not completely sure about that; probably the best place ot ask is on a raspbian forum.

I have built gnutls from source before now, and while slow, it’s very easy apart from the usual hell of building/installing dependencies first.
For convenience, its much better to use the standard system packages if you possibly can.