Re: Plans for ahead

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:35:10 +0100

On 29 November 2015 at 22:51, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
> I agree on that statement! the problem is that the whole thread here shows
> that nobody here agrees with the other one on how to improve it. Some say
> look, some say application, some say configuration tools, some want this,
> that, whatever.

And that is the key thing.

If we can get more exposure for GNUstep, get it in front of more
people, get it better known, then it will get more interest, more code
contributions, more development.

I don't want to change it. Improve it, yes. Change it, no.

I am not a programmer. I am not at all interested in the programming
tools or the use of GNUstep as a framework. That is for others who
know and care about such things.

I'm in part interested in it because it looks like NeXTstep, and I
think NeXTstep is the best-looking desktop there has ever been. So I
am strongly opposed to those who want new themes: I think it already
is nearly perfect and all the alternative themes are less attractive,
to me.

What I suggest is just getting it running well on Ubuntu. I'm not
really interested in Debian or any other distros, and less interested
in other OSes. Not that I do not want it to work on them -- I very
much do -- but I like and favour Ubuntu.

I want to make an Ubuntu GNUstep remix. Not a live CD -- there is less
need for those now that we have VMs.

I do have a Raspberry Pi; I run RISC OS on it. I am not remotely
interested in PiStep, or NeXT-shaped Pi cases. Frankly they sound
silly to me. As a GNU project, a kickstarter seems strange and
irrelevant to me, but hey, people need paying for their efforts. I am
not interested in running GNUstep on $DISTRO on Raspberry Pi, because
my Pi is the least powerful, least capable modern computer I own;
everything else is faster, has more storage, is more expandable, etc.

But Debian/Ubuntu packages -- better still, upstream inclusion --
would help everyone, whether they want "modern" themes or better dev
tools or desktops for tiny cheap computers. Even if you don't use
Debian/Ubuntu or even Linux at all, more users and more developers
would be good for the project.