Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 11:14:37 +0000

On 7 Dec 2015, at 11:05, Luboš Doležel <lubos@dolezel.info> wrote:

> I concur. We're talking about a "number of people" who would prefer Savannah,
> but the amount of people actually submitting code is very low. Just going to
> Savannah's website makes me feel like this is a dead project.
>
> If - for whatever reason - you later come to the conclusion that GitHub was
> not the right choice, migrating elsewhere is a matter of hours.
>
> If I were Greg, I'd also consider moving the whole project away from FSF.
> While I recognize the importance FSF has (had) for open source, just the need
> to do a snail mail round-trip with FSF to be allowed to contribute is a great
> obstacle for any FSF project. And I can tell you, a legally worthless one in
> my case - the Czech law explicitly forbids reassigning copyright except in
> well-defined cases (employee to employer and inheritance after author's
> death).

To give a really concrete example of how :

This morning, I fixed a bug in libobjc2.  The person who wrote the bug is doing
the rust-objc bridge.  He filed the bug via GitHub, which was easy for him
because all of his other projects are on GitHub and it’s a single sign in.  The
bug report referenced a failing test case in the Rust bridge, which I could
easily see (because GitHub allows cross-referencing between projects).  I was
able to comment on their test case as well, to help them refine it into
something that will work better as the language evolves.

This is a fairly common interaction for the other projects that I use on
GitHub.  I have never seen this kind of thing from Savannah.

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11