Re: Creating GSspell.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist... Segmentatio

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Creating GSspell.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist... Segmentation fault (was: Re: Compiling with clang Linking library libgnustep-base ...)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 18:55:38 +0000

I would suggest you do that, or that you build inside a chroot (or container, as desired).

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 11:42 AM Svetlana A. Tkachenko <svetlana@members.fsf.org> wrote:
> You MIGHT try something LIKE this:
>   sudo apt-get remove --purge gnustep-*

I did. It didn't purge some, because they were already removed.

Note that already removed != purged. You can, and in this particular case should, purge even uninstalled packages that weren't previously purged.

I removed everything from ``find / -iname *gnustep*'' that was not in my
home directory.
I rebooted.
I did make clean and make uninstall.
And followed the guide again.

But I still get the same error message. Odd.

Agreed. Not sure what is happening, it could be a genuine bug in plmerge or base libraries.

If you are willing to spend time to debug this, you can first rebuild everything by passing 'make debug=yes'. When building -gui, in addition to debug=yes, also pass 'messages=yes' to see exact command line used to run plmerge.

Then, launch gdb with 'gdb /path/to/plmerge', and 'set args the_arguments_should come_here=as_passed in_output_of_make', then 'run'. Once it crashes, 'bt' will show backtrace which may be enough to help you figure out what crashes.

Another way to see the culprit might be to 'ldd /path/to/plmerge', then identify if it's being mislinked.

If there is no other suggestions, I will proceed to format a partition
and do a clean install of Debian there. Without any GNUstep packages.
And compile it from scratch there.

Yes, please consider that. Here are some lower-impact alternatives to consider:
- You could install your OS of choice into a virtual machine running on top of somethingl ike virtualbox or qemu
- You could debootstrap into a chroot jail.
- You could use lxc or docker to get a sandboxed environment to build in.