Re: Debian 8 (Not really SOLVED)

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Debian 8 (Not really SOLVED)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 15:29:51 +0000

On 25 Jan 2016, at 15:12, Tristan Bellogi <bellogi@orange.fr> wrote:

> Debian clang.deb install libobjc4, Apple has libobjc4, Gunstep recommends its
> own libobjc2 ?

Debian appends a version number to the GCC libobjc package.  It supports the
same features of Objective-C as GCC (i.e. nothing vaguely recent).  It is
absolutely not the one that you want.  Please complain to the Debian clang
maintainer that it’s pulling in this dependency, as it’s not the one that he
wants.

Apple’s libobjc4 has a version number that makes sense, as it corresponds to
the language version, though Apple then confused everyone by branding the
version of Objective-C that came after Objective-C 4 as Objective-C 2.0.

GNUstep libobjc (a.k.a. libobjc2) was written to support Objective-C 2.0
features and be useable with clang.  It supports a superset of the features of
Apple libobjc4 and runs on most *NIX platforms.

> All Objc2 compliant?... Wich one should I use? Could find so many different
> things on the internet bu all mostly outdated... wasn't really helpfull

You should use GNUstep libobjc.

David

-- Sent from my brain