Re: Tooltips problem on Gnome 3

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Tooltips problem on Gnome 3
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 19:06:43 +0100

> Am 27.11.2016 um 07:26 schrieb Germán Arias <germanandre@gmx.es>:
> The value of level in line 2989 at XGServerWindow.m is 101. The

That is the correct level, we use NSPopUpMenuWindowLevel = 101 for tool tips.

> parameters are: op = 0, otherwin = -1. I tried changing the level value

The value -1 for other win means above all windows, not just any specific ones
even above the key and main window.
This should work, but it isn’t the best we could do. We could provide the
window of the view the tool tip belongs to as reference. That way we would get
similar results as your change on the lowest level achieved.
For this we need to change line 695 in GSToolTip.m to look somewhat like this:

  [window  orderWindow: NSWindowAbove relativeTo: [[view window] windowNumber]];

> to other values, like 0, 2, 4, 6, ... but don't solve the problem.
> However if I change the line 2996 to:
>
> else if ( (otherWin == 0 && op == NSWindowAbove) || level == 101 )
>
> The problem is solved. Although I don't have idea why.

I am surprised that this worked as it results in the tool tip being placed
below the key window.