Re: Use of NSZoneStat()

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Use of NSZoneStat()
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 17:04:48 +0000

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018, 17:25 amon <amon@vnl.com> wrote:
It may be the case that the malloc scene is confused and lacks
standards, but the ability to debug leaks with a simple test
like this has been a long standing and very serious problem
with Objective C, to

Apple has nice tools to debug ObjC leaks.

It would be a reason enough to run my stuff on OS X.

the point that I have my doubts there is
any significant size program written in the language that is not
silently leaking like a sieve.

I would also use the same tool as I would in C: valgrind.

It would be a reason enough to run my stuff on desktop Linux.

mallinfo() is an excellent TIL, however. Seems useful to trivially export use of standard malloc() into a time series database, without merely observing the process ram use externally, and while also not resorting to using wrappers.

This solution at least works in all the environments that are
of interest to my company, and if others can figure out extensions
to this simple API to make it work with some of the other ad-hoc
malloc and pseudo-malloc API's, its all to the advantage of
everyone. Feel free to take the code I posted and extend as
needed, or to simply use it to help you track down your own
memory leaks.