dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] USA Today: XBox Not Just for Games

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] USA Today: XBox Not Just for Games
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 09:53:01 -0400

(Forwarded from Pho list)

> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-05-15-xbox_x.htm

Coolest bit:

However, hackers like Andrew "Bunnie" Huang, who is pursuing a doctorate in
electrical engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, say
Microsoft's attempt to "lock down" the Xbox's parts is a prelude to using
similar techniques to keep PCs from running anything but Windows.

Huang was one of the first hackers to crack the technology Microsoft
embedded on the Xbox motherboard to stop people like him from running Linux
code on the Xbox.

While Microsoft says it's taking such steps to make technology more secure
for users, Microsoft's critics say the company could also eventually use it
to control more of the computer market.

"This is about fair use of something I bought with my hard-earned money,"
Huang says. "If Microsoft can stop me from running whatever code I want on a
given piece of hardware, it could then extend its software dominance into
hardware and lock up the entire computer market."

(Seth)