dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] MIT/HARVARD Free Software in Government Initiative

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] MIT/HARVARD Free Software in Government Initiative
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:10:38 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:03:16 -0500
From: "Daniel Greenwood" <address@hidden>

Dear Friends and Colleague,

I know this list is a good way to "get the word out" . . .

MIT & HARVARD HOSTING GOVERNMENT MEETING ON CREATING OPEN SOURCE FREE
SOFTWARE

If you favor greater use *and creation* of free software and open source
code in government, then please check out the announcement of a new
initiative by MIT, with Harvard and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as
partners, to form a loose association of interested governments at the state
and local levels in the USA to promote sharing of software under open source
licenses, including the GPL or Mozilla licenses. The announcement is at my
university web site: http://ecitizen.mit.edu

I need help getting the word out to people in state and local governments
who may be interested to participate. We're holding a initial meeting at MIT
and Harvard on December 9th, and I want as many governments as possible
represented and participating. This is a "get something done" meeting, not
an academic conference. The result will be formation of the association I
mentioned.

Also, anybody with ideas about decent distributed web sites the governments
can use as a repository for their code would be helpful. Something like
sourceforge, but with an ability to tell which software actually came from
governments participating in this code collaborative.

Please have people send inquiries to me at address@hidden for this
initiative, or see the website above.

Thanks very much,

- Dan Greenwood