dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] Re: [Community_studios] Re: playfair on x86, Apple uses

From: proclus
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [Community_studios] Re: playfair on x86, Apple uses DMCA
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:01:48 -0400 (EDT)

On 16 Apr, tom poe wrote:
> I share your outrage.  Suppose there was a community-based recording
> studio in every community, today.  Each location has a playfair app to
> hand out to local residents.  Forget the Internet.  That's the idea
> behind Open Studios.  Possibilities?  I think so.

Definitely, although you are the expert ;-}.  Here is what I am
thinking about it.  We could have a kind of toolkit, which includes key
command line tools, such as playfair, but also faad, ffmpeg, sox,
readcd, cdrecord, dvd*, madplay, mpg321, oggtools, and esound.  Then
some excellent gui apps, such as CCRMA Snd, and maybe a nice front-end
for the whole thing.  People should be able to bring their iPods to an
OpenStudio and make fair use of the tracks, especially Apple parodies
at this time ;-}.  If they bring a computer, then we send them away with
our special distribution on a disc, or help them set it up and run it.

> I think that the
> companies then have to mount a different tack, because they can't rely
> on people being totally dependent on the Internet, but rather have to
> cope with multiple levels of communication.

Yes, and our movement is just beginning to see its potential.  Imagine
playfair ported to iPod for example, which is just scratching the
surface.  Spread it in an mp3 file, like a virus, and everyone suddenly
discovers the DRM has been removed from all their files.  Apple must
back down, or face the consequences.

> How fast can we get such a global community-based recording studio
> network up and running?  Weeks to months, not years.  What will it
> take?  Getting the message out to those who can see the possibilities,
> spread the word, and make it happen.  What do you think?  Want to
> coordinate something with Gnu-Darwin?

Yes, this is fun, because our usual network distribution channel is
blocked on these items due to the SourceForge/Apple axis, but the music
can never be stopped.  We have shown that we are able to use our
packaging tools to provide software in a platform independent manner.
I could send you some discs, or hand them to you on the street, email
encrypted, whatever, like the first Neo scene in the Matrix.  I could
tell you how to do it yourself.  Follow white rabbit.  The
possibilities are limitless.

Regards,
proclus
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/