dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] Peter Junger on Software Patents, SCOTUS and Federal Ci

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Peter Junger on Software Patents, SCOTUS and Federal Circuit
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 03:59:25 -0800

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Software Patents
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 14:59:16 -0500
From: "Peter D. Junger" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden
CC: Seth Johnson <address@hidden>

Here is an entry from my blog:
<http://samsara-blog.blogspot.com/2005/12/software-patents.html>,
that I think may be of interest to members of the Cyberia and
Cyberprof lists.  I would be especially internested in seeing
arguments against the position that I express here.

My apologies to those who receive more than one copy because of
the cross posting.

                        Software Patents

    When I was in law school in the mid-fifties of the last
    century I never took---nor wanted to take---a course in
    patent law, but I did learn somehow one bit of legal folk
    wisdom about patents that was current at that time: ''All
    patents are valid and enforceable, except for those that have
    been reviewed by the Supreme Court; no patent that has been
    reviewed by the Supreme Court is valid or enforceable.''

    Since the creation of the Federal Circuit in 1982, however,
    the Supreme Court has had occasion to decide very few patent
    cases because all the patent cases that would in the old days
    have been decided by the various different circuit courts of
    appeal are now all heard by the Federal Circuit and thus
    there is never any conflict between the circuits and a
    conflict between the circuits is the usual basis for the
    Supreme Court deciding to hear a case.

    Over the years since 1982 the Federal Circuit has held
    repeatedly that innovations in computer software---in
    computer programs---can be patented. The leading case in the
    Federal Circuit on this subject is In re Alappat, 33 F3d 1526
    (Fed. Cir., 1994), even though, way back in 1972, the Supreme
    Court had held in Gottschalk v. Benson, 409 U.S. 63 (1972),
    that a claim in a patent application that describes a
    computer program---a so-called ``algorithm''---is not
    patentable.

    Thus we now have the strange situation where most lawyers,
    including most members of the patent bar, have to assume that
    software patents are valid and that the Federal Circuit has
    in effect overruled the decision of the Supreme Court in
    Benson even though the Court has never been very sympathetic
    when lower courts have refused to follow its decisions.

    Of late, however, the Supreme Court has evidenced an
    increased willingness to review decisions of the Federal
    Circuit in patent cases. When one couples that with the fact
    that there is more and more evidence these days that software
    patents impede rather than support the progress of science
    and the useful arts, I am almost willing to predict that
    within the next few years the Supreme Court will once again
    declare that claims in patent applications describing
    computer programs are not patentable and that therefore so-
    called software patents are not valid.

    It should be noted, however, that that prediction will not
    come true if no one is willing to bear the expense of taking
    such a challenge to the Supreme Court or if no one dares to
    raise in a petition or an appeal to the Supreme Court the
    fact that there is a conflict between the Court's holding in
    Benson and the Federal Circuit's holding in Alappat.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law
School--Cleveland, OH