dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] [Fwd: Who wants a broadcast fax server? Yes, you do.]

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] [Fwd: Who wants a broadcast fax server? Yes, you do.]
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:32:34 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [DDN] Who wants a broadcast fax server? Yes, you do.
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:58:34 -0600
From: "Dave A. Chakrabarti" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden,The Digital Divide Network
discussion
group<address@hidden>,address@hidden,
address@hidden,address@hidden,
address@hidden,address@hidden

Hi all,

In partnership with Chicago's wonderful Linux group (FreeGeek
Chicago: http://www.freegeekchicago.org/), we've decided it's
about time we had a replicable, well-documented, broadcast fax
solution. The idea is to get together and make use of FreeGeek's
linux expertise to turn an average, low-end, nothing-fancy
desktop computer we had lying around into a fax server capable of
automatically sending high-volume faxes to addresses / numbers
from pre-built databases. The immediate use that comes to mind is
in advocacy / press releases / flyer distribution etc, but I'm
sure most nonprofits could benefit from this kind of thing. And
it'll be a great primer on the world of open source software and
Linux, and the possibilities inherent in your old computer boxes.

We're currently compiling a list of interested parties, and we
expect to set a date to meet and build this thing in the near
future. If there's enough interest from people / groups that
won't be able to attend in the Chicago area, we can make
extensive, newbie-friendly documentation available online soon
afterwards.

Anyone who'd like to be in on this, please email me and let me
know. Please mention if you're in the Chicago area and would be
interested in attending the build. You'll also get a tour of the
Free Geek facility and hands-on experience of the work they're
doing.

Thanks,

   Dave.

Dave A. Chakrabarti