dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] Dmidecode 2.6 to be released soon

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] Dmidecode 2.6 to be released soon
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:51:54 +0100 (CET)

Hi Petter,

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> I ran a small test trying to build a debian package using the CVS
> version, and got this error:
>
>  biosdecode.c:505: syntax error before `int'
>
> This patch fixes the problem:
> (...)
> -static inline int anchor_match(const struct bios_entry *entry, const char *p)
> +static int anchor_match(const struct bios_entry *entry, const char *p)

Oh well, this is the second time a problem is reported with this
"inline" (first one being a compilation warning on BeOS, which I got
rid of by not using -pedantic anymore). Speed is definitely not the main
concern in dmidecode, portability is, so I'm fine with your patch and
will apply it this evening. In 2.7 I might even get rid of anchor_match
altogether and use strncmp instead, even if for some reason it seems to
be slightly slower. And memcmp seems to be even slower, although I just
can't get why.

That being said, I am quite surprised that this "inline" causes that
much trouble. I thought it was a standard keyword.

Thanks a lot for the test, it is much appreciated.
--
Jean Delvare