dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] A lot of compile time warnings on ia64

From: Petter Reinholdtsen
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] A lot of compile time warnings on ia64
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:07:57 +0200

[Jean Delvare]
> I'd say they aren't. However, I am a bit surprised because this code
> hasn't changed in years, so you should have seen these problems
> before.

Well, I do not check the build log of successful builds very often. :)
For all I know, it has always been there with the new compiler version.

> These warnings suggest that you should use
> -DALIGNMENT_WORKAROUND. This is unheard of for ia64 though. If this
> is true, you'll know soon enough, as your ia64 dmidecode binary will
> die horribly with a bus error. If this is the case and
> -DALIGNMENT_WORKAROUND fixes it, please let me know so that I can
> document it and even possibly automatize the use of
> ALIGNMENT_WORKAROUND on this architecure.

I have no way to test this on an ia64 machine.  The only info I have
is from the buildd log. :(

> I see that you are using non-standard compilation flags: -ansi,
> -pendantic and -Os. Might be related to the warnings, so you should
> try without these. I see no point in adding -ansi and -pedantic,
> BTW, as I am not willing to fix warnings caused by these.

I do not see the point of asking the compiler to report less warnings,
as long as the build still succeeds, so I'll keep them.  I believe it
is a good idea to ask the compiler to help me as much as it can to
find questionable code.  I'll try to remember that you believe the
warnings caused by -ansi and -pedantic are irrelevant.

The '-Os' is included to make the binary as small as possible, as it
is used by the debian install system.

> The warning about 'strcasecmp' is correct, I was not including the
> correct header file. I was including <string.h> instead of
> <strings.h>.  I had never realized these were two different header
> files. For some reason it didn't cause a warning for me. I'll fix it
> in CVS today, thanks for pointing this out.

No worries. :)