dmidecode-devel

[dmidecode] dmidecode 2.10 to be release soon

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: [dmidecode] dmidecode 2.10 to be release soon
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:17:48 +0100

Hi all,

It's about time to release a new version of dmidecode. The previous
version was released almost two years ago. The most important changes
from 2.9 to 2.10 are as follows:

dmidecode:
* Support for Solaris (x86 only, of course).
* Possibility to dump the SMBIOS/DMI table to a small binary file
  (option --dump-bin).
* Possibility to read the SMBIOS/DMI table from such binary files
  (option --from-dump).
* Support for SMBIOS 2.6. This includes new chassis types, new
  processor family names, new processor family upgrade names, bus
  address for system slots, and a new entry type for on-board devices,
  amongst many other minor changes.
* Support for DMI entry type 31 (Boot integrity services).
* Many processor family names taken from the CIM Schema document.

vpddecode:
* No longer ask users to report broken records.
* Fix --quiet option.

Full list of changes can bee seen at:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/dmidecode/CHANGELOG?root=dmidecode&view=markup

Thanks for Matt Domsch (Dell) for contributing code.

I plan to release dmidecode 2.10 by the end of the month, most probably
on November 23th, 2008. Please test the current CVS version if you can
and want to help, and report if anything doesn't look right. You can
get the latest CVS snapshot using the following command:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/dmidecode co dmidecode

In particular, I am very interested in reports about SMBIOS 2.5 and 2.6
machines. I was able to run some tests on such machines, but my
coverage is relatively limited compared to the large number of SMBIOS
2.3 and 2.4 tables I have access to. I am also interested in tests on
non-x86 hardware and non-Linux systems, as I wasn't able to test many
of these lately.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare