dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] Explanation - dmidecode output

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] Explanation - dmidecode output
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 09:20:58 +0100

Hi Paul,

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 20:30:43 +0000, Paulo Henrique wrote:
> I would like to have a better explanation on the "Set" field returned in
> the memory device session of the dmidecode output.
>
> If there is any documentation that best explains what particular
> information returned it would be very useful.

For a description of any field, you can refer to the SMBIOS
specification directly:
  http://www.dmtf.org/standards/smbios

> Handle 0x1101, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
> Memory Device
>         Array Handle: 0x1000
>         Error Information Handle: Not Provided
>         Total Width: 72 bits
>         Data Width: 64 bits
>         Size: 4096 MB
>         Form Factor: DIMM
>         Set: 1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---------------This field

Straight from the spec:

"Identifies when the Memory Device is one of a set
of Memory Devices that must be populated with all
devices of the same type and size, and the set to
which this device belongs"

Dmidecode will report "None" if the device is not part of such a set,
and "Unknown" if the information is not provided.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support