[Dolibarr-dev] Question/discussion about language translation

From: Oli Sennhauser
Subject: [Dolibarr-dev] Question/discussion about language translation
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 18:31:26 +0200

Hello all

as far as I have understood the language translation we have a default (en) and if you have configured your own language it will choose from there translation if exists.

For every sub-type of language which exists there is an own translation file (de_AT, de_DE, de_CH, ...).

And every sub-type of language contains the whole set of translations with probably 99% redundancy. This leads to a lot of redundant data and is very very error prone if somebody want to fix or improve stuff in the language.

Would it be possible and/or wishable that one has a 3-level inheritence of translation files?

For example: en -> de -> de_CH

If you do not find anything in de_CH (0.5% of data), use it in de (where 98.5% of data should reside) if not available use it in en (should only happen in less than 1% of the cases in a perfect world).

I think I found already some parts between de_DE and de_AT where it was diverging and in my language de_CH we name some things differently than in de_DE and de_AT so it will be even worse over time...

Please let me know your thoughts:

* if this is possible to implement and maintain
* if this is wish-able

If we agree that it is a good idea I look at the code to see how to implemented it.

Best Regards,
Oli

--

FromDual - Independent and Professional MySQL Services.

Oli Sennhauser                    CTO / Senior Consultant
Phone: +41 44 940 24 82           Mobile: +41 79 830 09 33
address@hidden       http://www.fromdual.com
Skype: fromdual                   Twitter: fromdual