[Dolibarr-dev] Enforce a strict module compatibility policy

From: Doursenaud , Raphaël
Subject: [Dolibarr-dev] Enforce a strict module compatibility policy
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:43:50 +0200

Hi everyone,

After reading about users frustration on the forums about modules being incompatible after upgrades and having experienced this myself, I suggest here what I think is part of the solution: https://github.com/Dolibarr/dolibarr/issues/3738

Dolibarr has a great modules ecosystem thanks to the Dolistore and fellow developers.

Unfortunately, most do not follow Dolibarr development closely and end up being incompatible with recent releases creating various users and integrators frustration.

To mitigate this, I suggest we add a mandatory explicit compatibility declaration to modules.
This way, we can assess if a module is compatible or not and warn users during the upgrade process.
We should also require the publisher's contact informations so we can display an email address or a web link for the user to contact the module developer to ask for compatibility informations or upgrade support.

This is just a draft. Feel free to add your suggestions.

This could also be leveraged on the Dolistore itself to display compatibility informations in a more sensible way.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the matter.
--
Raphaël Doursenaud
Directeur technique (CTO)

http://gpcsolutions.fr
Technopole Hélioparc
2 avenue du Président Pierre Angot
64053 PAU CEDEX 9
SARL GPC.solutions au capital de 7 500 € - R.C.S. PAU 528 995 921