dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Re: [Arch]a couple of questions and suggestions

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Auth]Re: [Arch]a couple of questions and suggestions
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:14:22 +0200

Dave Sherohman <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 04:26:49PM -0400, Mason Ham wrote:
> > Mind you, the one thing that no one seems to be addressing is
> > "human"/"Business" nature. It is all well and fine to say you are going to
> > keep control of the data, but once you give that data to another party,
> > you/we are completely at there mercy. That is, if they can do something
> > useful with the data that you sent them then they can sell the something
> > useful!
>
> Aye, that's the rub.  The DotGNU list started out working from this
> idea of a DNS-like system, but it was abandoned (or at least it looked
> to me like it was abandoned) before long specifically because the root
> servers concentrate the authority into a small number of entities.

What you say is correct.  And the other reason why the idea of a
DNS-like system was abandoned is that it's so much more powerful
to make a Distributed Execution Environment in full generality.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com