dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]simplest logon design proposal

From: meson
Subject: Re: [Auth]simplest logon design proposal
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:40:55 +0500

> that would be the auto fill system, however it is
> difficlt to do that is a standard does not exist.
> also, it would be nearly impossable to be able to
> develope a system around such a lose protocol.

IMHO it isnt so much a lose protocol as it is an EXTENSIBLE protocol. We may
even go for a hybrid protocol where certain fields have specific meanings
accepted by all clients/servers and other fields can be invented by the web
page designer. Remember, XML is all about allowing the masses to create
markup, so I think we should allow users to do this. And IMHO, the major
complain people will make about a set of 'standardized' fields is that it
doesnt allow them to customize it to their needs. We should keep in mind how
web designers might use the dotgnu platform, not just how it will act on the
client side.

> having standard fields and field names will allow us to tell
> the deamon to look for feild tages, read what is
> required and get the information from the Databank,
> this can all be done automaticly with only a
> conformation click from the user to send the data.

The same AND much more can be done with a hybrid system.

> if we let web page designers make up any name they want
> for certain fields we would not be able to provide
> such a seemless system, and the database would have to
> store repeat information that is tied to a spesific
> site. to me that would be a big waste of space and
> would make the system bloated and slow after a while.

A hybrid system would eliminate this problem IMHO since commonly used
information would then be given a unique name and stored only once.

> the best way to go is to have a sigle standard and one
> entry of information in a databank.

IMHO the best way would be a hybrid system.

- Amir