Re: [DotGNU]Web Services: It's So Crazy, It Just Might Not Work

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Web Services: It's So Crazy, It Just Might Not Work
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 18:00:30 +0200

Bill Lance <address@hidden> wrote:

> There is a pointer in there to www.xmethods.com
> that list many existing WebServices.  They use a
> variety of servers.  How does dotgnu assimilate this
> stuff?

DotGNU builds a webservice platform that will not only be
suitable for stateless webservices (where using the webservice
does not change the state of the server; most of the examples
currently listed on www.xmethods.com are of this kind) but also
for stateful webservices (where using the webservice results in
a change in the server's database that will also affect other
users).

The webservices themselves however are not implemented by the
DotGNU project.

> One quote from the article gets right at one of my own
> major questions about the whole WebService idea.
>
> "In contrast to the presentation of public and
> universally interoperable services, Web Services are
> actually best at automating private, previously
> negotiated conversations. The idea of unknown but
> perfectly described capabilities existing out there in
> the cloud -- at once unfamiliar enough to need to be
> discovered, tailored and reliable enough to build a
> business on, and not so critical that they need to be
> hosted locally -- describes a small and fairly trivial
> set of possible services. The ASP business ran aground
> on this issue, and there is no sign that the Web
> Services solution will work any better."

An example of a non-trival, fully functional, profit-oriented
webservice business is my mailing list hosting business, see
http://cisto.com/

A mush more complicated example is Ken Evoy's "Site Build It!"
webservice, see http://buildit.sitesell.to/

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com