Re: [DotGNU]SEE configuration poll

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]SEE configuration poll
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:06:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, S11001001 wrote:

> The SEE is started at boot, and also by each user.
>
> Each user can provide webservices by registering them in his/her own
> config file.
>
> Each user (and the system) can specify different plugins available using
> the same config file.
>
> The way I see it, there are two KISS options for this system:
>
> 1. Use a guile-based config file, with a macro file for M4 output by
> users of the xseeconfig.exe graphical configuration tool. This is much
> like how Mozilla is configured (except for the m4 part); the config file
> is executed, and it makes callbacks that fill in the necessary data of
> the mega-config "Prefs" object.
>
> It has the advantages of allowing ultra-dynamic configuration. It has
> the drawbacks of parsing M4 for xseeconfig.exe, as well as relying
> somewhat on programming-language error reporting instead of data error
> reporting.
>
> 2. Use XML as a backing store for the configuration information. This
> has the benefit of allowing easy access by xseeconfig.exe and validation
> (better error reporting). It has the drawback of limiting users more.
>
> Everyone, please tell me what you think.

How would you see XML as limiting users? (considering a distinction
between users and developers)

It would still be possible to allow the same type of described
functionality by reading in the arguments into a variable set (in C) or
an object tree (with C++, python, etc) and using that to rebuild the
config file - thus providing the same dynamic configuration.

Granted the C solution probably has "sexier" methods of solving the
problem - but it would work. :)

Either way is good, but I personally support the use of an XML config file
to limit dependancies.

        -Barry