rant/flame on compiler Error Reporting (was Re: [DotGNU]Supporting MS Er

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: rant/flame on compiler Error Reporting (was Re: [DotGNU]Supporting MS Error code syntax)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 16:10:44 -0600

Rhys Weatherley wrote:
Gopal V wrote:
I had a mail from the Eclipse Csharp people saying "your error messages are
not in ECMA format" ... Currently I think a hundred line patch to their
compiler invoke code can fix them up for CSCC support ...

Where, pray tell, in the ECMA standard does it specify the error
message format?  Or even the list of error codes that should be
emitted for various conditions?

This reminds me of a reply from a Mono on changing their error reporting to match GNU standards instead of what csc does. They said "it would break compatibility with all the .NET tools out there." <ahem> *all* the .NET tools? (i.e. I guess the tools that use the GNU standard just can't compete)

+, if Eclipse wants to be any good, it had better be extensible in such areas. To match *proper* implementations.

--
Stephen Compall
Also known as S11001001

When I cook spaghetti, I do object if someone else eats it, because
then I cannot eat it. His action hurts me exactly as much as it
benefits him; only one of us can eat the spaghetti, so the question
is, which? The smallest distinction between us is enough to tip the
ethical balance.

But whether you run or change a program I wrote affects you directly
and me only indirectly. Whether you give a copy to your friend affects
you and your friend much more than it affects me. I shouldn't have the
power to tell you not to do these things. No one should.
        -- RMS, "Why Software Should Not Have Owners"