Re: [DotGNU]Handling library conflicts and csant/NAnt compatibility

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Handling library conflicts and csant/NAnt compatibility
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:03:02 +1000

Adam Treat wrote:

> I wish Portable.NET had a better method of handling the library path issues
> and conflicts between pnet libs and mono libs.

The current method was devised to resolve the library path issues
of picking up the wrong library in ilrun.  I'll look into adding
an option to the compiler to allow this to be overridden where
necessary.  Log a bug in Savannah to remind me and I'll look at it.

> I wish NAnt and csant build files would be 100% compatible that way we could
> use either build tool ...  From a little experiment I know that the Mono NAnt
> build files will not work with csant :(  Perhaps, the NAnt folks would be
> interested in a more general DTD ...

I can try to improve the compatibility a bit, but there will
always be NAnt things that csant can't do.  e.g. adding new
commands through the use of extension assemblies.

For the NAnt folks - one of the things csant provides that is
very useful is a way to abstract the compiler.  A single "compile"
tag can launch any C# compiler based on command-line options or
environment variables.  This makes it a lot easier to port code
from one compiler to another.

> PS I can not find any comprehensive DTD or doc for csant and how to use it.
> The only thing I can find are examples from other builds ...

Log a bug for that too - I should have documented csant a while ago.

Cheers,

Rhys.