Re: [DotGNU]Call for test cases... Numeric Formatting

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Call for test cases... Numeric Formatting
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 02:06:51 +0530

If memory serves me right, Jonathan P Springer wrote:
>  I'm giving StringBuilder quite a workout.

A StringBuilder is always more efficent than basic string concat
operations ... (maybe not always ... but most of the time ... ;-)
In theory this should be faster than string '+' ... (But you knew
that already .. and that's why you used SB ... )

I really want to write a hex dumper in C# ... with the formatting
stuff of course ...

Btw,can Michael Moore reuse any of your cool stuff for formatting
support ? ... viz for printing "09" instead of simply "9" .... I
suppose the string formatting could do that ? ..

Now ... who can I get to write a wrapper for the POSIX 'int' based
file stuff into an ANSI FILE* struct/typedef for pnetC ?...

I'm sort of hoping that someone steps up to do pnetC as well ...
It's more of traditional C programming ... and every one knows
what fopen is supposed to do .. reuse stuff in libc/unistd/* to
create your own fopen, fclose, fseek, and perhaps even fgetc..
Should be easy for a C guy with a handle on the unix file handling.

Also I very much prefer to get constant feedback from people
working on things .. just so that I can sleep easy ... Rich333
once surprised us with a 2300 line patch we gave up trying to
integrate ... which coincidentially was Numeric formatting ....

> I'm very happy to hear this.  As most of you know, I think it's
> necessary to differentiate dotgnu and the Gargele-Blaster Foo Muncher
> from IL.

Parrot now has 17 opcodes specifically added for dotgnu support ...
(conv_i1, conv_u1....) Typically the parrot equivalent of the ECMA IL
opcodes of similar names ...

Leo has commited those to parrot CVS and guess it's time some froody
hacker stepped up to work on PMCodegen's arithmetic operations...

It's really great when you can help the people spec'ing it out ...
rather than depend on a fixed cage of specifications ..

Goodbye to `ParrotClamp' operations ...,
Gopal