Re: [DotGNU]What needs doing?

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]What needs doing?
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:56:50 +0530

If memory serves me right, Dawkins, David wrote:
> I could so some unit tests, or general coding.

Unit tests are what needs immediate work right now ...
We've the unit test framework in pnetlib/tests/ ..

The organization there reflects the main organization.

> experience with C, C++ and Java.  Working lately with
> web services (WSDL, SOAP, Tomcat).  I could probably
> turn my hand to most things.

We've sort of 3 branches of developement ... in Portable.NET

1) Compiler branch -- needs a lot of reading the compiler code
   as Rhys's treecc takes a bit of clever brainwork. Or writing
   a new compiler based on cscc codegen.

2) Runtime branch -- needs work in finding & fixing bugs rather than
   development ... or work in the Threading segment , after our last
   stable release of this year (0.5.0) ... And maybe write an X86 JIT
   for 0.5 branch (after 0.5.0) ..

3) Library branch -- Ideal for new comers with Java or C# experience
   .Test cases for standard libraries .. missing features in the libs.
   I have already assigned Uri refactoring to one developer , a test
   case for WebHeaderCollection to another and DateTime formatting to
   yet another developer.

   So if you want to get *assigned* , please contact me (in public,
   so that every1 knows what you're doing).... And take a peek at
   http://dotgnu.org/pnetlib-status/

There is a lot of work left in the rest of DotGNU as well .. For example
Peter Minten's Forum client , the address@hidden authentication scheme...

Gopal