dotgnu-libjit

Re: [Libjit-developers] Crashing when using jit_insn_call_indirect_vtab

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Libjit-developers] Crashing when using jit_insn_call_indirect_vtable with JIT_TAIL_CALL
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:19:59 +1000

On Monday 01 November 2004 02:39 am, Alexander Kellett wrote:

> Calling jit_insn_call_indirect_vtable with JIT_CALL_TAIL
> (with similar signatures and params) results in a really
> lovely crash.

The crash is mainly due to a missing "jit_insn_return" in
"build_function_callback" in your test case.  This causes control to drop off
the end of the function into random garbage when compiled and executed.  It
should be inserted just after the call to "jit_insn_call_indirect_vtable".

The other problem is that tail calls are not completely implemented yet in
both the interpreter and x86 back end.  It will take a little more time to
implement this.  Remove the "JIT_CALL_TAIL" flag and it works fine.

And yes, I know that you need tail calls to work, but Rome wasn't built in a
day, so please be patient.  It should be possible for you to make progress in
other areas even without tail calls.

Cheers,

Rhys.