dotgnu-libs-devel

[Dotgnu-libs-devel] Re: DotGNU Libraries (dotgnu-libs) on Savannah

From: BioChem333
Subject: [Dotgnu-libs-devel] Re: DotGNU Libraries (dotgnu-libs) on Savannah
Date: 24 Jul 2002 00:00:31 -0400

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 09:49, Gopal V wrote:
> LGPL for ECMA wrappers and wrappers of LGPL/X11/APL.... libs
> GPL for wrappers for GPL'd libraries (readline ?)
>
> These are standards , IMHO ...
>
> GPL+LE can be ignored for now as we are coding more in C# than in C,
> but when we develop a fast vector library or something like that which
> depends totally on native components (and not external libraries) ,
> we should use GPL+LE to protect the native part as well. An example of
> this would be a new Windowing toolkit developed for C# , using XF86 ..
> (ie not a wrapper .. but a new library in C+C#)

I agree, but what about new libraries which are entirely written in C#?
Although I hate giving proprietary software any advantage whatsoever, I
think gaining widespread acceptance of our extensions (i.e. making them
the de facto standard) takes precedence, so something like dotgnu-base
should be all LGPL and/or GPL+LE.

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 12:02, Gopal V wrote:
> Afterall what MS says is "customary" for C# , so I really don't think
> it would be a big issue if we used
>
> "using dotgnu.xml;"
> or
> "using DotGNU.Xml;"
>
> except perhaps the first one is faster to type (for me) ...

I'd have to agree here; hitting the shift key is both slow and annoying.
All lower case is also more "aesthetically pleasing" (to me at least); I
prefer all lower case.

Rich