dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] A patch for review

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] A patch for review
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:45:03 +1000

On Friday 30 May 2003 08:06 am, Gopal V wrote:
> Hi,
>       This is a patch to remove attributes conditionally by name in
> code .. This might be used for many things , like in the compact
> edition of Pnetlib, we might turn off [TODO] attributes ,

It is probably better to turn off TODO by implementing the feature in question
and getting rid of the TODO that way. :-)

I've generally found that more space is saved by carving out entire namespaces
and/or classes than fiddling with individual attributes and methods.

> I would like to provide multiple options for this or a regexp
> like thing (like "TODO\(Attribute\)?" ) . But currently I need
> this to correctly compile the ml-pnet module... Please review ..

While the patch is technically correct, I think it would be better to fix the
bug than hack around it.  I'm going to look into some attribute problems
today, including the one where "[X]" works but "[System.X]" doesn't.  If this
is a different bug, then send me a test case and I'll look into it.

The patch is also a little inefficient: it needs to do a CCStringListGetValue
for every attribute that is processed, leading to significant slow-downs on
libraries with large numbers of attributes (like mscorlib and System).

Cheers,

Rhys.