dotgnu-pnet

Re: RE : [Pnet-developers] System.NotImplementedException when implement

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: RE : [Pnet-developers] System.NotImplementedException when implementing Environment.GetSpecialFolder
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:22:13 +0530

If memory serves me right, Pascal Hauser wrote:
> Hi there..
> I've made a short look at the patch.. I saw that there is no implementation
> for other platforms than win..

Yes, which is a sad thing ... because it's not possible either :)

> I think a good point could be in a file like the "machine.config" on
> ms.net.. but currently there is no such file.. (or am I wrong?..)

Pnet needs to implement System.Configuration to do that, which means
System.dll would need a reference to System.Xml.dll to parse XML and
System.Xml.dll already refers System.dll making it a recursive assembly.
Once Portable.net has recursive assemblies this will cause another
small problem because then mscorlib.dll will need to refer System.dll
for System.Configuration making build complicated. We move from the
normal build to :-

Stage1: mscorlib.dll System.dll System.Xml.dll  # we build System.Xml.dll
Stage2: System.dll           # we build System.dll with Xml recursive support
Stage3: mscorlib.dll         # build mscorlib.dll with Configuration support

ie instead of compiling pnetlib once you'll endup compiling mscorlib.dll
and System.dll twice . I do have a solution for that , but it's a bit
crude (ie Reflection , MethodInfo.Invoke ;-)

But if someone's interested in the actual parsing of the machine.config
you can copy the System.Configuration directory into a new dir and build
a System.Configuration.dll and test it and copy the results back into the
original dir .

> One other point not to forget is that some folders like Desktop usually are
> relative paths including some other paths like users home directory..

Oh, well -- Security Risk :)

Gopal