dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] [bug] resgen produces junk for valid PO files

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] [bug] resgen produces junk for valid PO files
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:59:57 +1000

On Monday 29 December 2003 09:52 pm, Bruno Haible wrote:

> That's OK on output, and it's also OK for input streams/files, unless there
> is evidence that the input is in another encoding. Which is the case for
> PO files, which carry their encoding in the header entry. (Remember that
> PO files are produced by translators, and more than 50% of the translators
> are still working in non-UTF-8 environments.)

The standard resource formats for .NET are .txt, .resx, and .resources.  We
support .po only to ease migration of existing string resources to the
standard formats.  To that end, it is now *possible* to migrate, even if it
isn't necessarily *trivial*.  I suggest that you modify msgfmt and msgunfmt
directly if you want anything more complicated than what resgen can do.

Cheers,

Rhys.