dotgnu-pnet

[Pnet-developers] [bug #15345] strings created in a while loop are not m

From: Andrew Yates
Subject: [Pnet-developers] [bug #15345] strings created in a while loop are not made null each iteration
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 23:27:23 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open

Details:

Strings (and probably every other type) created in a while loop are not made
null each iteration. Instead, their value is preserved across iterations.
I don't claim to be a C# expert, but it is my understanding that they should
be made null each iteration.

Consider the following code:

public class adsf {
  static void Main() {
    int a=0;
    while (a<=3) {
      string test;
      test += a.ToString();
      Console.WriteLine("{0}", test);
      a++;
    }
  }
}

This compiles fine with cscc, and gives this output:
0
01
012
0123

As you can see, the value of the string "test" is preserved across
iterations. csc or mcs both refuse to compile this code unless the line is
changed to: string test = ""

Regardless of whether or not cscc lets it compile, I believe that  the string
should be set to null every iteration.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=15345>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/