dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Dotgnu-libjit] Re: [Dotgnu-pnet] CVS is down -> Switching to SVN?

From: Klaus Treichel
Subject: Re: [Dotgnu-libjit] Re: [Dotgnu-pnet] CVS is down -> Switching to SVN?
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 09:12:43 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 03.06.2009, 18:26 +1000 schrieb Rhys Weatherley:

> +1 for git from me.

A backup from 20090527 was found later and was restored. So cvs is
available again.

The conversion from cvs to git is not that straightforward.

The features we'll need are:

1. It should be simple to get a complete local copy of the whole
dotgnu-pnet repository.

2. One should be able to create a branch on a subproject like pnet,
libjit, ...

3. And a limitation we have right now is that there is only one git
repository link available on savannah.

From what i got reading git documentation branches can be done only on a
whole repository (module). So we'd need to convert the cvs repository to
git submodules which require separate git repositories (but i might have
missed something) and bundle them in a master repository.
This would allow 2. and the conversion would be quite easy.
But 1. and 3. are not satisfied.

With converting libjit, pnet, ... to subtrees it seems that we can't
convert the branches and tags on the subprojects so a lot of history
information would get lost.

Any hints are welcome.

Cheers,

Klaus