drm-elimination-crew

Re: [Drm-elimination-crew] Call to Action! Let's Draft an FAQ

From: Thomas Gramstad
Subject: Re: [Drm-elimination-crew] Call to Action! Let's Draft an FAQ
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 02:40:56 +0200 (CEST)

Quoting from
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Defective_by_Design/Frequently_Asked_Questions :

Is watermarking DRM?

No. DRM is restricting your rights of using. Watermarkink is protecting the right of the author...

(End quote)

Actually, watermarking is a kind of "social DRM". The purpose of
watermarking is to discourage sharing of cultural works or
knowledge products by incorporating identification data that can
be used to identify the first buyer of said work/product, so that
this buyer will be tracked and get into trouble if, for example, a
family member or friend (or friend of a friend etc.) who may have
borrowed or copied the work from the buyer (legal in many
jurisdictions) proceeds to share the work online (thus getting the
buyer into trouble). This discourages all sharing, including
sharing which is legal today, because the buyer will be "safer" by
not loaning, copying or otherwise giving anyone else access to the
work/product.

Therefore, watermarking is opposed to the spirit and practise of
sharing. And even though it is not a type of technical
restriction, lock, encryption or the like, it is still a mechanism
whose purpose is to oppose or sabotage sharing, only part of the
mechanism is social rather than mechanical.

Hence, "social DRM".

Therefore we need to be opposed to watermarking as well as
technological DRM, even though watermarking is less evil than
DRM. Being opposed to cancer doesn't mean that one supports
or accepts the flu.

Also, no author has ever been "protected" from anything by
having sharing of their works technically or socially curtailed,
so that formulation needs to go as well.

Thomas Gramstad
address@hidden