Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encrypting backups?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encrypting backups?
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:37:26 -0800

  SM> I stumbled across duplicity this morning looking for serious
  SM> backup software.  It looks like this is a serious undertaking
  SM> and am glad to see it.  I do have one question though:  Isn't
  SM> altering a file for backup, in this case encrypting, a bad
  SM> idea??  If you lose everything doesnt' depending on an altered
  SM> file lessen your chances for recovery?

Hi, maybe you could say a bit more, I don't think I understand the
question.  The output of the encryption process is different from the
input, so it that sense it alters the file (just like compression).
But the encryption algorithms are designed so that you can recover the
original data from the encyrption version.

I suppose if an unnoticed error were to occur during encryption that
could mess things up, but it seems an error like that could occur
during a normal copy too.

--
Ben Escoto