[Duplicity-talk] restoring timestamps

From: Seb Wills
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] restoring timestamps
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 18:22:11 +0100 (BST)

When I try to restore a backup of another user's files, naturally duplicity is unable to restore the correct owner to the files, giving "Error '[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: ...". But this situation also seems to prevent it from restoring the modification timestamps. Is this by design, or by accident?

In my opinion it would make sense for duplicity to restore the archived timestamps even if it cannot restore the correct file ownership.

My quick hack to effect this enhancement is to move the call to os.chown(), which is throwing the error, in path.py, to below the calls to os.utime() and os.chmod(). I guess a neater solution would be to catch the exception, print a helpful message, and continue the normal flow of execution.

seb