Re: [Duplicity-talk] why it uses sftp instead of scp?

From: ar <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] why it uses sftp instead of scp?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:06:07 +0100

Axel Beckert wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 12:46:58AM +0100, Jure Lo??ar wrote:

I have a problem and it looks like duplicity is trying to use sftp
instead of scp.

[...]

How do I persuade it to go with scp? For scp works fine using key based
auth (withaut passphrase).

Without knowning the details of duplicity's internal's but some
internal details of ssh, this questions answers a question I have
asked myself recently: How can duplicity determine which files are
existing on the remote site with using scp? Well, it can, because it
doesn't use scp as named but sftp which can do such thing while scp
AFAIK cannot.

But you're right: If the sftp subsystem of ssh is used, it should be
name sftp and neither ssh oder scp. (Except perhaps if it uses several
ssh subsystems at once, e.g. scp and sftp, then it would probably be
best, if it's named ssh. But sftp should solely suffice for all of
duplicity's purposes.)

		Regards, Axel

Ok, so basically I must configure sftp server if I use scp or sftp, for both modes use sftp.

Thank you for your help.

Jure