Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity fails to do incremental backups on Ubuntu

From: Gabriel Ambuehl
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity fails to do incremental backups on Ubuntu Feisty
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 12:09:30 +0100

On Saturday 24 February 2007 11:09:47 Charles Duffy wrote:
> Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> > Seems like there is at least one other
> > http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/wiki/BoxComparison and possibly a few more
> > (follow the hdup link, and go to hdup2 which then points to rdup which
> > seems in full development).
> >
> > I think I have some evaluation to do ;)
>
> Let us know what you find, please.

Ok, rdup is basically a smallish app, that tries to figure out what you should
backup using timestamps (you can also add SHA1 hashes if you like, but it
doesnt seem to care for them right now, if you want to use those, you need to
process them yourself). After that, you get a list of files that are either
flagged as new (which is the same as updated here) or removed. I think I
would like it to display unchanged files in the output as well but that
shouldnt be very hard.The whole idea is to write scripts that then process
this list. Some scripts for plain old hardlink based mirroring are already
there. It also comes with a small app that encrypts stuff with a key, but I'd
rather trust gpg for that.

This could potentially be quite useful for simply figuring out which files
have changed, tar them up and send them to the server to have some
incremental backup, not terribly efficient but KISS. Plus points for actually
keeping track just where the most recent version of a file is saved (in my
usage, this is not really required, remote backup is just last line of
defense really, if I ever need it, I'll need all of it but it doesnt seem
overly complicated ;-).

As for Box Backup, that one seems more in line of what duplicity does, it's
actually a daemon that can continously backup files to remote machines with a
(it seems) very similar rsync derived algorithm. However, as far as I
understand, it doesn't actually tar up your data, but create individual files
which is not very much to my liking, I have to say (last but not least, it
does leak some information).