Re: [Duplicity-talk] problems with ftp-backend on debian etch

From: Stephan Holl
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] problems with ftp-backend on debian etch
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 21:18:35 +0100

Hello Travis,

thanks for your answer.

"Travis H." <address@hidden>,
[20070307-22:01:31]:

> On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 06:44:20PM +0100, Stephan Holl wrote:
> > dear duplicity-users,
> >
> > I have a problem running duplicity (with its frontend ftplicity[1])
> > on my server.
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity/backends.py",
> > line 349, in put self.error_wrap('storbinary', "STOR
> > "+remote_filename, source_file) File
> > "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity/backends.py", line 335,
> > in error_wrap except ftplib.all_errors, e: raise BackendException(e)
> > duplicity.backends.BackendException: (32, 'Broken pipe')
> >
> > Perhaps you can point me to a place to start diggin into the
> > problem.
>
> So it looks like the local half is sending the FTP command "STOR" to
> the remote system (where "remote" means the end running FTPd, not
> necessarily a different system), and this is generating a broken pipe.
> Could it be an out-of-disk-space problem?

No, I have plenty of space on the backup-site as well as on
the /tmp-partition.

Ahh, after some investigation there realy seemed to be a problem with
the qouta-settings on the FTP-site. I will investigate this further.

>  Could it be an issue with
> passive mode versus active mode FTP?

Dunno?!

>  I know that if you try anything
> but CWD it uses an active or passive mode data connection and that can
> be a symptom of firewall problems.  Otherwise, look at the FTP backend
> (backends.py) around lines 300-375 and ftplib see if you can figure
> out what is raising the exception.  What I expect is that ftplib is
> spawning a child process to do something, and it is exiting but this
> is not being caught by the current error handling, and so when it goes
> to actually issue a command to the child process and it's not there,
> you get EPIPE.

btw. I have found a patched version of backends.py[1] which gave me the
hint to investigate the quota-settings on the ftp.

Best

        Stephan

[1] http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/download.php?file_id=10189
--