Re: [Duplicity-talk] Setting the PASSPHRASE inside the duplicity program

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Setting the PASSPHRASE inside the duplicity program itself
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:57:11 -0500

Putting on my security and reverse-engineering hats here, that kind of obfuscation doesn't necessarily do very much good. If I want to know what a password used by an automated process is, I don't go poking around trying to figure out which file it's stored in -- I trace the process's network traffic (if it's making a network connection with unencrypted authentication) and system calls (particularly if it's passing passwords to a subprocess such as with ssh or GnuPG). Looking through strace also makes it very easy to find out where a password was read from -- even if it's buried somewhere otherwise nonobvious.

Be sure you aren't operating under the impression that the steps you're taking buy more security than they actually do.