Re: [Duplicity-talk] 0.4.3 - sftp backend used with an scp url

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] 0.4.3 - sftp backend used with an scp url
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:09:23 -0500

Bill Pier wrote:
> I'm trying to update my backup scripts for use with the stable
> 0.4.3 release, (yes I know the 4.4 release is imminent and contains
> a syntax change as well).
>
> The prob: sftp command is invoked by duplicity even though I'm
> targeting an scp:// URL.  I've tried forcing it, I thought, with the
> scp-command
> option, but to no avail.
>
> Why is this happening?
> Shouldn't it use the backend prescribed by the URL or at least the
> options specified?
>
> I want to use scp and NOT sftp as I'm making use of ssh connection
> sharing via the
> ssh-options parameter.
>
> Is anyone seeing this behavior?

scp:// is a misnomer.  It does use scp as the transport for get and put,
but uses sftp for list and delete.  In reality, it is the same as the
ssh:// backend.  ssh utilities sftp and scp are used to accomplish the
backup, and as such, use ssh for your connection-sharing.  Both use
ssh-options to set up the underlying ssh transport.

...Ken