Re: [Duplicity-talk] restoring into sparsebundle fails with "No spacelef

From: Darik Horn
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] restoring into sparsebundle fails with "No spaceleft on device"
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 0:15:00 -0600

> please tell me it's not all in virtual
memory!

What do utilities  like `ps` and `vm_stat`  say about the the duplicity process
size and paging activity when it hangs on the large file?

> I am watching the free space on my drive slowly go to zero.
>  I tried 'lsof /tmp/duplicity-ATV1_9-tempdir/' but it didn't produce much of
> interest

You should see at least one anonymous regular file handle here.  Check whether
lsof needs additional switches on Mac OS X to get a useful result.

You must determine whether your system is swap thrashing, dropping mktemp()
turds,  or barfing into a mmap'd file.  Etc.

> I speak Python and am willing to write code to solve this problem if someone
> can confirm there is a bug and help me to understand what's going wrong.

Try to restore the backup on a second plainly configured computer to isolate
for a busted Python installation or incompatibilities with your non-default
filesystem layout.