Re: [Duplicity-talk] Long running duplicity

From: Ken Smith
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Long running duplicity
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:47:27 -0800

On Jan 12, 2008 12:09 PM, Olivier Croquette <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jan Kratochvil wrote, On 12/01/08 20:05:
> > No, the partial upload will be droppped.  Even the incremental backups need
> > completely finish or they will also get ignored.
> >
> > For this reason I have to backup to an external drive locally first and then
> > upload the files repeatedly by rsync(1) to the remote server as the full
> > backup
> > takes about a month of upload over my instable link.
>
> I do the exact same thing.
> The first upload took me 12 days.
>
> The nice side-effect of doing the backup locally first is that the time
> to restore decreases dramatically too in case of a crash of the main
> storage.

My original intention was to decommission my local storage in favor of
just backing up over the WAN using duplicity.  I think the Kuroboxes
are starting to fail and I just don't want to maintain them anymore
but I'm willing to keep them around if it is the best solution.

If this ends up not working out, I'll get smarter about my backups
and, instead of backing up my entire disk in one fell swoop, I'll back
it up in bite sized parts.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas.

   Ken