[Duplicity-talk] Problems with colons in the filenames

From: Eric B.
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Problems with colons in the filenames
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:41:30 -0400

I'm running into a problem with duplicity filenames.  I am trying to use a
cifs mount from a NAS device as a target directory, but apparently CIFS
mount doesn't accept the ':' character as a valid character.  I was fairly
sure that my NAS was an ext3 fs, but based on these results, I'm not so sure
anymore.  Either that, or I am mounting the NAS drive incorrectly.

Is my only solution in that case to use the --short-filenames option?

Has there been any consideration given to the structure of duplicity
filenames to be cross-OS compatible?

I have my cifs mounted drive on my CentOS4 system that works properly under
regular conditions.
# mount -t cifs //bashful.domain.com/backups /mount/bashful/backup -o
username=eric,password=eric,iocharset=utf8

Or does anyone know if there is a way to make my CIFS mount recognize colons
in the filename?

Thanks,

Eric