Re: [Duplicity-talk] Full backups strategy

From: Antony
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Full backups strategy
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:17:59 +0700

Hear it from the victim of his own ignorance:

I don't use Full Backup at all.. just incremental. 2 days ago, I have to restore only 1 file from last week's backup. So I have to download the whole 2G (about 1500 files) of data to restore. I started using dulicity since July 2007, incrementing daily. <- BAD SCENARIO.

Problem from full backup:
- slow bandwidth.
- resource hogging. If you backup quite a lot of data, from a production server, you might find this a bit of problem.

Problem for no full backup:
- hard to restore.

Work around if you're trapped like me. Copy the data manually to your local box.

I will change to monthly full backup ASAP. I forgot the commands already so will need to find some time to explore again. :-) Hopefully in this week.

Oh, and one more thing I back up using 0.4.2, but can't restore with 0.4.2, it said, no files in archive. Upgraded to 0.4.11 solved it.

rgds,
Antony

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Jacob <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2008 07:32:39 -0500
"Tom Purl" <address@hidden> wrote:

> The advice I received was to do a full every week, but that takes *way*
> too long for me

Especially if you're backing up 80 KB/s over an FTP connection. Wooo, feel the wind!