[Duplicity-talk] Changing Includes

From: Jon Watson
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Changing Includes
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 09:50:51 -0300

Hi All,

Just started using Duplicity a week or so ago and am really enjoying the security it gives me. However, as I getting used to and changing
things, I've run across a problem that likely has a relatively simple solution, but I can't figure out what the "right" thing to do is.

I was backing up my /~Documents directory to my rsync.net filespace and now want to add my ~/scripts dir to the backup. MY previous invocation looked like this:

/usr/bin/duplicity /home/jdw/Documents scp://address@hidden/zeus --sign-key A807C43B > /home/jdw/Documents/BackupLogs/Backup_Log_`date +%Y%m%d`_zeus_rsync.net.log

I've changed it to:

/usr/bin/duplicity --include /home/jdw/Documents --include /home/jdw/scripts --exclude '**' /home/jdw/ scp://address@hidden/zeus --sign-key A807C43B > /home/jdw/Documents/BackupLogs/Backup_Log_`date +%Y%m%d`_zeus_rsync.net.log

Which seems like it would work as Duplicity does not throw any syntax errors, but Duplicity does give me the old:

Fatal Error: Backup source directory has changed.
Current directory: /home/jdw/Documents
Previous directory: /home/jdw

Aborting because you may have accidentally tried to backup two
different data sets to the same remote location, or using the same
archive directory.  If this is not a mistake, use the
--allow-source-mismatch switch to avoid seeing this message

For information: zeus is the machine name I am backing up. I previously used plain old rsync and my remote filesystem looks something like:

/machinename1
/machinename2
/machinename3
...etc

Now, obviously I can use the --allow-source-mismatch directive as the error message states, but given that attempting to do what I am doing constitutes a Fatal Error, it seems to me that Duplicity maintainers must have decided that doing what I want to do is dangerous enough that I shouldn't do it.

So, the question is - how do I muck about with my includes periodically without getting this error? Do I need to backup each local dir into it's own source dir on the remote file system as in:

/machinename1/Documents
/machinename2/scripts

?

Thanks,